lagoon

lagoon

Friday, May 13, 2011

Race Season!

Race season has started! This past weekend I competed in my second duathlon, the Penticton Bare Bones Duathlon (5/32/5). I felt a bit nervous going into the race with no taper/down time before the event, but according to coach Noa it is a good experience to head into a race without the comfort of a taper, and I'll have to agree! It was a good learning experience to race on tired legs and a good indicator to see how my body holds up in a race situation. The first 5km went quite well and I managed to stay in 3rd position, but I didn't quite run the time I wanted. Shooting for 20:xx may have been too ambitious for tired legs. Onto the bike and almost like that I was passed by some super speedy girls! The course was challenging with some good climbs and nasty descents that were made a bit sketchy thanks to major potholes and gravel... I'm a chicken when it comes to descents on the bike! The second run felt nice and strong, only the second lap was a struggle to deal with the headwind and rain. I gained back a few spots on the last 5km and managed to finish 6th overall, and first in my AG, but there was just me :) My dad and I drove back from Penticton after the race and arrived at my new place later that night.
All settled in to the Coquitlam basement suite and slowly finding my way around the area and working the bus schedule. I had my first loading the bike onto the bus experience this week- and I can only hope that it gets easier! The bus driver had to get off and help me! A big shout out to Different Bikes Burnaby for helping me with my bike needs etc. Its great to have their amazing support!

Heineken the cat
maybe powerade should sponsor me? (stashed
under my bed for now)

Race winnings: white vino, hat and socks!

No comments:

Post a Comment