lagoon

lagoon

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

'Hot dive into frozen waves'

Figured I would post another quick update on what has been happening as of late... the point of having a blog is to post and write down snippets of things I find relevant and interesting- so why not post?!

Lately (more like for the past 18 months) I've been having some second thoughts about my future as a medical student and ultimately a surgeon. It's not that I don't want to pursue that career path, as it would be one of my dream jobs, but it is reality that has got me thinking of plan B, C, D and maybe all the way to plan Z. My current grades are not going to cut it for med. school. It's a pretty simple fact and one that I need to face. I chose to study biochem/micro at UVIC because I didn't want to enter the kinesiology program as it was not geared enough towards medicine and science. Instead I chose biochem, thinking of it as a tie over until I got into medicine. I never wanted or envisioned myself with a career in that field, so finally, I've decided to get out of it and switch into something that I have passion for! Starting this summer I will be taking some philosophy courses (and maybe even a class on the history of vampires!!!) and preparing myself to write the LSAT and apply to Law school. I'm excited to take some courses in which I can have an opinion and some creative handle to my work. It's been a long 3.5 years of straight sciences. So I am taking a 'hot dive into frozen waves' and trying something new, hopefully finding something that will make me a happier person in my academic life.

On the training side of things everything has been going well! I raced the Bazan Bay 'world championships' 5km this past weekend. Results here. Overall, I am satisfied with my result because it is 30s faster than last year... but I am frustrated that I still can't get that elusive 20min mark yet. Time, patience and hard work will eventually get me there, and in the mean time that's all I can focus on. Having goals and benchmarks are some of my great motivational tools. Speaking of goals, I have decided that I want to make the BC Swimming 'A' 800m freestyle standard. It is slightly faster than the TriBC provincial elite standard of 11:45 for an 800m in SC, at 11:38 in a long course pool. If I am going for one benchmark, I might as well try and push for the next! Not that I plan on doing anything with the BC swim standard, I just think that it is a good goal to have... maybe then I can officially believe that I am a swimmer, not someone who jumped in the pool 3 years ago and started swimming!

With that, I should probably go get ready for a ride in the bike cave. I'll leave you with a song that's been stuck in my head for weeks




No comments:

Post a Comment