lagoon

lagoon

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Some things I'd like to do

This endless rain has got me daydreaming of hot, long summer rides. I've done a couple century rides the past few summers, and there is nothing better than spending a beautiful day outdoors while on your bike and enjoying the scenery. Especially if you are lucky enough to ride around the Slocan Valley or down near Northport WA. I've been planned/scheming up some routes for my return to Rossland at the endof August- a good way to celebrate the end of summer and the end of school!
Here's my list:

1) The Silver Triangle-
being a Slocan lake girl, I find myself drawn to this ride. I've do
ne most parts of the route on the Slocan Valley side, and I never get tired of looking down at the lake and up to the Valhallas. This could be broken up into two ~100km legs, but I am tempted to hammer it out and get the whole loop done in one go!




























2) Northport China Bend-
I rode this one two summers with Rita. Aside from my stomach rotting from excess gatorade near the last 20km, this was another good ride. Starting in Northport, head back towards home, and turn onto China Bend Road that leads to the winery. This puts you on the opposite side of the road that the main highway travels. The whole stretch from Northport to Kettle Falls was my favourite! A combination of rolling hills, views of the Columbia river, a magnificent drop down to the water level and a road relatively free of traffic make for a fun outing. There is a small gravel strip about 1-2km in length up near the winery, but nothing unrideable...
I would only do this ride on the weekend because of the big logging truck traffic that clogs the main highway during the week days. I hope to do this ride again soon! The full loop from Northport to Northport is about 110km. It would be challenging to loop it from Rossland to Rossland (yay hills!) or start in Rossland, ride the first half and cross the boarder back into Christina Lake, and ride home from there.

3) Bombi Pass Ride 130km-
The lure of the Bombi! This ride could be started just about anywhere, depending on what you want to tackle first. Basically starting in Nelson and riding to Playmor Junction. Turning into the Slocan Valley, and then into Crescent Valley. Follow Pass Cr. Road into Castlegar and then up the Bombi pass. This is a 16km climb- long. (There is even the "Assult on the Bombi" race up this pass). Descend the Bombi down into Salmo, and follow the road into Ymir and eventually back into Nelson.


























Those are the three rides that I'd really like to tackle sometime this year. I don't see the point in traveling to far away places to ride when I have my "back yard", and what a huge back yard, to explore.

Any takers willing to ride these with me? Full or partial! Any other ride suggestions around the kooks that are a must do?

Here's to riding in the sun!

No comments:

Post a Comment